this might sound stupid, but i was thinking about chefs and software engineers and i realized that they are very similar: each has some big project (the right meal, the right application) and they are trying to realize that. they experiment, but they mostly understand the effect of removing or adding any particular ingredient.
neha told me that there's a big difference in that chefs can have this thrill and almost sensual pleasure in making food, whereas software engineers just don't get that. hmm.. well i don't know about the type of pleasure in either setting, but i'll tell you that when you solve a problem in either realm there's a big thrill.
i think the big difference is timelines. you can't have an iron chef tv show for software engineers because it takes at least days, if not months or years to build good applications, whereas you can make a pretty good meal in an hour or less, with enough underlings :)
- ► 2008 (66)
- ► 2007 (72)
- ► 2006 (89)
- My Idea about Clothing
- Boring, over my head Talk
- The Room is Clean
- Filling in the bubbles...
- Raja: Doctor in the House
- Toronto: Simulated Dirty Bomb Attack
- just bought the JBL Onstage for iPods
- john roberts and abortion rights
- laptop posture
- chefs and software engineers
- katrina: reporters ask tough questions, go a littl...
- independent book stores
- room cleaning continues!
- howl's moving castle: quantum leap ending
- [tech] active learning
- guess who -- revealed
- guess who this is
- this is one of the birds we saw while canoeing on ...
- neha handled the steering of the boat from the bac...
- on our second day, neha and i went canoeing. it wa...
- Neha, Niniane, Peter and I went to Mendocino for l...
- katrina, cornell and tulane
- microsoft's harsh words
- hurricane katrina and how you can help
- the talking corner
- ▼ September (26)