neha, grant and i did the last leg of the litcrawl (like a pub crawl, but you go to bars where people are reading books!) organized by the litquake conference. we heard a lot of interesting excerpts from books by some bay area authors, and some more worldly authors. one i particularly remember is a reading of a graphic novel. for those of you not in the know, a graphic novel is essentially a comic book dealing with more adultish issues (that's a big generalization, and what does adultish mean, but let's go with that).
anyway, at this bar there were 4 readers, each representing a character in the graphic novel. the novel was about the immediate after-effects of the dropping of an atomic bomb in japan. a couple's house was on fire, and their children were hurt. the couple was trying to decide whether to wait or stay with a trapped child. one of the characters, the mother i think, was acted-out really well by the reader -- she was super-engaged, and bawling and screaming. very convincing. the father, on the other hand, sounded straight out of a dubbed chinese movie. i remember he said "you fool" a few times to the mother, and his words were so stilted and monotone: "you" .. "fool" ... anyway i couldn't help laughing out loud, and i got some looks from the audience members.. very insensitve, i.
- ► 2008 (66)
- ► 2007 (72)
- ► 2006 (89)
- chinese students lipsync
- some of the scary/funny/interesting pumpkins carv...
- here the pumpkins have their favorite hats on. a l...
- donating blood
- encountering famous (?) people
- sf litcrawl
- Murder Mystery!
- Here's a picture of almost the entire murder myste...
- I played Stormie Steele in the murder mystery -- a...
- franz ferdinand concert
- ummni's visit
- me taking a picture of myself
- Cousin Ummni looking slightly out of it on the hot...
- skier coming over the ramp (see the small black do...
- ▼ October (15)