Friday, November 10, 2006

the coffee shop


i used to dislike coffee shops as places to work, but that has changed. recently i've been accomplishing quite a few things at my local coffee shop, coffee to the people. i have some ideas concerning why this might be.

first, i don't think i ever gave coffee shops enough of a chance. the noise isn't distracting, in fact, i feel quite at peace in the coffee shop. no one is going to interrupt me, and if they do, it will almost surely be something very quick. furthermore, the coffee shop disabuses me of my bad habits, like browsing the web (i don't take my laptop) and putzing around with things in my room (like my squeezebox). in fact, i think i actually get more done than i would in my room or office at school, because the distant hubbub of the coffee shop is actually energizing.

i'm going to continue with coffee shops and see what other magic they might inspire.

some links:
  1. this guy might have the right idea about the coffee shop buzz
  2. this book isn't exactly on topic, but it discusses the "third place," where people can have a good time and hangout and converse
  3. i think this might be going to far: Lexmark transforms Toronto coffee shop into small office for Small Business Week

No comments:

Followers