Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Chinese President's social concept of honor and disgrace, and online response

over at china digital times there's a great post looking at the online response to the chinese president's recent moralizing campain. for instance, here's one of the 8 parts of the moral code, which focuses on honor and disgrace:

5) The honor of togetherness and cooperation; the disgrace of profiting at the expense of others

the most interesting part comes at the end of the above post, where a blogger points out that one obvious way of really reading the template "The honor of [goodThing]; the disgrace of [disgracefulThing]" is to read it as "More and more people must be doing [disgracefulThing]." Here's the rewrite of 5:

5) More and more people must be profiting at the expense of others

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weird, I found your blog by accident. While being dissolute as usual. I can't remember if I was this dissolute when I knew you, probably! Anyway, not one to lurk so figured I'd out myself. Same day I got an email out of the blue from John O, from MCI. Strange.

Sounds like you've been having a good time. Probably you chose a better time of year to go to India than I did...

Oh, and I hope you don't mind that I found this--may not be back, I prefer blogs with less content and more gossip!

Followers