when you put the CD into your computer, it asks to install some software to enable playback. my ass. i'm not letting any of their junk onto my computer when any cd player can play the cd just fine without this extra software. so i browsed around and found this link, which describes how to rip this cd on a windows pc.
i'd like to elaborate on the description found there, because it wouldn't be easy for anyone who doesn't know a bit about computers.
- download audiograbber
- download the lame mp3 encoder (i suggest downloading the stable version)
- copy the lame_enc.dll from the lame directory into the directory where you installed audiograbber
- run audiograbber
- click CD | Problems with track list? | Get TOC (track list) from CD subcodes (this will get you a list of some tracks, with numbers but no names)
- click Freedb (it's a penguin icon on the icon bar). this will download the track names. if it doesn't work, wait a few minutes and try again, the freedb server is sometimes flaky
- click the MP3 icon, assuming you want MP3s.
- click "Direct Rip and Encode to MP3 files," assuming you don't want the wave files
- below the check box "internal encoder", choose from the list of encoders the "LameEnc DLL"
- click ok
- click Grab
voila, you should have the MP3s in a few minutes. Now you can easily load the MP3s *you purchased* onto your iPod or other device by loading the files into iTunes or similar software. happy listening!