i thought i'd end the day on a high note by meeting my theory colleagues at the theory seminar. the talk was given by a grad student from princeton (i'd actually met him more than a year ago when i visited princeton. nice guy, pretty good lecturer). after the talk they had wine and cheese, which was quite nice. anyway, i was minding my own business, talking with grad students, when someone comes up to me and says hi. i introduce myself and then he looks at someone else and that person says to him "ah! you owe me $100!" then he replies "well not yet. talk to me in a few months."
i ask him who he is - -Satish Rao. the professor who emailed me months back and asked if i would be coming to berkeley, given that i work at mega-bucks company google. i told him i would. it seems he was betting against me! anyway i guess he still thinks that there's a chance i might skip out. i don't think i will, and if i don't maybe he should have to pay less out given that i'm doing a bit of work for google on the side.
in any case, it felt like a very unwelcome "welcome" from my temporary advisor. oh well, given my first day, why should i have expected anything else?
- ► 2008 (66)
- ► 2007 (72)
- ► 2006 (89)
- renting a place in the bay area
- [tech] the theory lunch and zero knowledge proofs
- this is my "office".. does it look clean from here...
- it's typical of the shelves in this room to contai...
- look closely above the notebook and to it's left. ...
- see all this stuff? no one actually seems to have ...
- the whiteboard in our office -- NOTE: this is AFTE...
- [tech] graphical models
- [tech] systems and databases -- oh my!
- the foundation series
- [tech] theory funding
- [tech] random algorithms, pleasant ideas
- [tech] and "normal" posts
- first day at school: day's end
- first day at school: midday
- first day at school: daybreak
- a place for my ideas and thoughts
- ▼ August (18)