made a great spiced nuts recipe from my brother-in-law's family. jane lee gave me the recipe. fanstastic stuff. loved by all.
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup (we did fake maple syrup, you can likely experiment)
- 2 TBSP water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tobasco sauce
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 pound almonds (or mix of other nuts)
(NOTE: double the spices if you want realllly spicy nuts. we did 1.5 times, and found it not spicy enough, but others loved it. gauge your audience)
- preheat oven to 250
- melt butter
- mix all ingredients in butter pot, simmer and let boil for 1 to 2 minutes
- stir in nuts, coating well
- cover baking sheet with tin foil, line with slight amount of oil or pam or whatever non-stick you use
- bake for 1 hour at 250, stirring nuts every 15 minutes to get them well coated
- let cool and break nuts off sheet
The nuts keep for 6 weeks. Beyond that, you can freeze them to keep for a long time.
so, we actually doubled this recipe and made 1.5 pounds of almonds and about half a pound of pecans. realllly good!