Saturday, July 28, 2007

spider cat

neha gave me a spider plant and i just brought it at home and, unlike my other spider plant, i put it at cat-reachable level. raja has already taken quite a few bites and so i wonder, why on earth? i know they aren't toxic for cats.. then i read this:

Q: Some people told me that cats like spider plants because it affects them like LSD. Did you find that to be true? I don’t have a cat, but I have a hamster that will do anything to get near my spider plants. If you could give me some insight into spider plants and cats, it would be very helpful! (e-mail reference)

A: Being a cat owner myself (or is it the other way around?), I noted the attraction between my furry friends and this particular species of plant. I checked into spider plant toxicity and found that it is listed as nontoxic. Apparently, cats are attracted to spider plants because, like catnip, spider plants are mildly hallucinogenic to cats. The same thing may be true of hamsters. While harmless, the cats need to be disciplined or they will trash the plant. When we bring ours indoors for the winter, we have to make sure the spiderettes do not hang low enough for the cats to reach!


in other words, the plant is the one in danger -- raja is on the prowl and slightly drugged up!

1 comment:

bea said...

Hah! You're Raja's dealer.

Followers